If you’re preparing for a road trip with your car, it helps to bring along a handy impact wrench! This amazing device is one of the best tools to fix tire problems on the go, so read this guide on how to use impact wrench on lug nuts and change tires to make use of these devices!
How To Use Impact Wrench On Lug Nuts
When removing lug nuts, we advise you to use an impact wrench instead of an impact driver simply because the former tool is much stronger than its counterpart. An impact wrench can provide you with a torque up to 220lbs-ft, so it is safer to say that this kind of wrench can take anything off its base! Here’s how to remove lug nuts with impact wrench:
- Park your car by the side of the road or anywhere with a balanced surface, so you can insert the parking brakes properly into place. This helps you lock your car into one spot and prevent it from slipping and sliding while you’re working on your tires!
- From here, you can have a clear view of your tire and its nuts to safely remove the hubcaps and check the current state of the nuts. If you’re living in harsh conditions, it’s safe to bring WD-40 to cure rusted nuts due to freezing temperatures. Nevertheless, an impact wrench can help free the nut just fine!
- If you use locking lugs on your wheels, be sure to take out the special key provided to you by the manufacturer to remove these parts before you proceed. In case you don’t have lock nuts and want to keep your tires from thieves, you may want to install these!
- Hold the temptation to jack the tire now since the nuts are still positioned on the bolts when you do so. You’ll need to do this with your bare hands, so you should only jack up the tires when you’re ready.
- Afterward, the nuts will become considerably looser for you to easily remove with the impact wrench. Simply apply the wrench, start it and unstick the nut. The guide on how to remove lug nuts without impact wrench will involve a manual lug wrench, so if you want to be safe, bring that on your trip as well.
Applying the lug nuts back on will require you to enact the same process as well.
How To Use An Impact Wrench To Change Tires
After you have removed the lug nuts, you can start to change your tires. Luckily for you, the process to use an impact wrench to assemble parts of a machine – or change tires in this case – is similar to how you are instructed to disassemble from the paragraph above.
Impact wrenches are quite simple to use, so if you manage to choose a wrench that fits the torque stat, you’ll be cruising through this task just fine. For the specific number, consult the paragraph below!
How Much Torque Will You Need
To determine how much torque to take off lug nuts, you must consult with the company that makes them. Since different tire producers aim for a different torque upon the lug’s formation, it’s very important for you to have a safe zone as well as deep research into the nut’s strength requirement.
So how much torque does an impact wrench need to remove lug nuts? If you aim for somewhere in the range of 80-100lbs-ft, you should be safe.
Adjusting your impact wrench to fall into these stats will earn you great results in a flash, but be careful not to overdo it. Using the wrench at a torque too high will render your lug nuts a lower shelf life. The grip your wrench has on its object can make the object become disfigured or even more worn due to constant brute force.
Worn nuts are more susceptible to being twisted and dealt with even larger torque later on in their lifetime. So if you have just bought a brand new set for your tires, we suggest doing careful research into what your lug nuts will be compatible with the power you apply to it.
If the bolts and the lug nuts are damaged during your wrenching process, you’ll also risk denting the wheel hub as well. Wheel hubs can be very expensive to replace, so make sure to lay easy on the nuts a little bit.
Outro: Now that you’re well-versed with how to use impact wrench on lug nuts, don’t forget to put a handy little air wrench into your trunk next time you’re on the road! Please check for the device’s strength stats and type to find the one that is most suitable for your uses!