Professional basketball players share that the more you bend your knees, the less force you need to jump high. However, performing this move requires you to expend more energy to reach the desired peak. And you need to train your feet to increase your ability to jump vertically.
Table of Contents
How high do I need to jump to dunk?
To get accurate results, a general formula is needed. The fastest way that the players often apply is to use the dunk calculator.
Using the dunk calculator will give the exact results that the players need to work hard to achieve.
The important metrics that affect the accuracy of the results are the player’s height, reach height and several other parameters. We will find out together.
We often find it much easier to do the dunk for players over 6.4 feet tall. Lower players will have a little difficulty. However, if they work hard and practice, they can do it. That said, height is a huge advantage to basketball dunk players.
Use calculator to calculate dunk height in basketball
Using the Dunk calculator is often used by players to accurately calculate the desired height.
To use the dunk calculator you need two exact figures, the standing reach and the height of the rim you want to dunk. These two data will give exact results to calculate.
Determine your standing reach
To determine the exact reach when standing, you need to prepare the following tools:
- A tape measure
- Flat wall
- Someone to help you
- Chalk to mark altitude
Steps to take
- You should stand with your back against the wall vertically.
- Bring your arms up high, pressing as close to the wall as possible. Beside, take sure to keep your feet flat on the ground.
- Ask a friend to apply powder to your hand. Then, you reach as high as you can and hit the wall hard. The chalk will leave the mark of your hand on the wall.
- Take note to use a tape to measure the distance from the ground up to the point where your chalk mark is highest.
This is the metric you need to use for the Dunk calculator.
Determine the height of the basketball hoop
As a general rule in the sport of basketball, a prescribed basketball hoop is 10 feet. You can use this metric or the actual basketball hoop height figure you know as an alternative.
Steps to use the Dunk calculator
Professional basketball players will use dunk calculators to figure out exactly how many inches it takes to jump down! The Dunk calculator is quite simple to use. Please follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Enter your height in feet and inches into the calculator.
- Step 2: Enter your stand reach. This is the metric you just got after doing the steps above.
- Step 3: Enter the height of the basketball hoop into the calculator.
- Step 4: Enter the reach metric you need to reach the rim. Normally, it is 6 inches for most basketball players.
When you have finished entering all the information. The calculator will give you the exact height you need to be able to hit the dunk. It’s quick and convenient, isn’t it?
This result will change with time and effort. So you can recalculate at another time if you want!
Tutorials to help you improve your vertical jump for Dunking
We have updated at the beginning of this article. The players turn professional because they are always training their legs to help them jump higher.
For vertical jumps, this is a great exercise for high jumps. To make it easier for you to do this vertical jump, follow our step-by-step instructions.
- Remember that you always need to warm up before playing sports or doing dance exercises. For basketball, athletes often use jump ropes to warm up the muscles and let blood circulate in the body better. Warming up is a must-do whether you’re playing on the professional court indoors or outdoors.
- Start with slow and controlled toe jumps. Then the ankles and feet, finally the jump and the perfect landing.
- Practice regularly and progress slowly with different milestones!
- Your feet are the most important part of increasing your jump level, stretch, and jump power.
The dunk calculator is a great tool to help you calculate the exact height you need to jump down. We hope that with what has been shared you have obtained all the necessary and important information. Wish you have impressive dunk jumps in basketball sport.
Reference Source: “Vertical Jump” How To Dunk For Short People – Jump Higher