Small and pretty but genuine and unexpectedly powerful, the Makita range of miter power saws truly brings new meaning to the world of power tools. With innovative design elements, sturdy product make, and sheer efficiency in cutting capacity, long-term project work, adaptability, and flexibility, Makita models pack a lot more than they seem to be able to.
Below we will explore four such products through Makita miter saw reviews that will certainly shed light on how this brand cuts and these are the reasons why Makita saws are preferred over other brands.
Table of Contents
Why You Should Choose Makita Miter Saws
From their neat design template and clear-to-see features, Makita saws come equipped to perform tough woodworking jobs while still working at optimum efficiency. This makes them quite the enviable power tools.
10- and 15-amp motors capable of rotational speeds like 3200 and 4600 rpm make Makita saws quite powerful as they run the blade fast enough to enable super-smooth cuts.
- The carrying handles on these saws are not merely there for show. Designed for comfort, grip, and sweat-resistant holding these handles make it easy for you to carry the Makita miter saw anywhere.
- Most of these models have dual post compound pivoting arms and four-steel rail sliding systems that are top of the line innovations rendering Makita miter saws specialized and ready to handle any woodworking task.
- Most of the slides have 6 linear ball bearings that make it easy for you to perform extremely accurate cuts without the need to adjust settings or angles on the slides themselves.
- The blades come in 10” and 12” varieties and are carbide tipped, making them ultra modern and highly practical. They do indeed make smooth cuts.
- As lightweight miter saws go, Makita branded products weigh an average 27 or so pounds, making them incredibly portable and ready to be transported on short notice.
- A machined aluminium base feature is integrated into most Makita saw brands and their presence through saw usage results in accurate cutting.
- Some high-end Makita brands have 4¾” tall dual sliding fence systems that effectively increase productivity and flexibility where miter saws are concerned. These also come equipped with upper and lower fence adjustment options.
- Cutting capacities are multifarious and each one can be performed to excellence – 4¾” vertical baseboard cuts, 6 5/8” or 8” vertically nested crown molding work, and 12” crosscuts performed at 90-degree angles.
- Makita miter saws have outstanding miter and bevel angle ranges. For instance, almost all their models have 0-47° left and 0-57° right for miter range, and 0-45° left and 0-5° right for bevel range. This is quite the extensive array and can indeed be used to perform plenty of high-end tasks to great effect.
- Positive stop features help enhance accuracy. There are 9 available settings in this regard, pertaining to most common miter cuts: 15°, 22.5°, 30°, 45° right and 0° (90° cuts).
This is merely an overview of what Makita miter saws can bring to your work. Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or professional builder/carpenter/contractor, Makita saws can enhance the quality, productivity, and accuracy of your woodworking tasks.
The Top 4 Makita Miter Saw Reviews
I. Makita ls1216l
Outstanding features and great precision best define this model. There is a world’s worth of cutting possibilities with the ls12161.
- Cutting capacities are large and varied: vertically nested 8-inch crown molding, 15-inch crosscuts performed at 90 degrees, and a vertical 6½” baseboard cut option comprise ideal diversity.
- Designed with 6 linear ball bearings, the four-steel rail sliding system lets you perform amazing cuts without the need for adjustments.
- The direct drive motor runs on 15 amps and, with little maintenance, can produce 3200 rpm.
- The dual sliding fence system is exclusive to the ls12161, and has 5½” (height; tall) upper and lower fence adjustment options.
- A fine laser system with on-off feature is an ideal fit for this model, enabling you to view the line of cut, and whether it is to the right or left of the blade.
- Engineered for accuracy, the ls12161 has precise bevel and miter cuts for different applications and materials. The bevel range comprises 0-45° (left and right); positive stops at 0°, 22.5°, 33.9°, and 45°. The miter range comprises 0-52° left and 0-60° right; positive stops at 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, and 45°.
- There is a readily accessible dual rear-handle bevel lock, in addition to other comfort features.
II. Makita ls1018
Capable of performing some of the most accurate cuts out there, the ls1018 is a marvel of power saw engineering. As sliding compound miter saws go, this one is a keeper.
- Its ability to make perfect cuts is due in large part to this saw’s linear ball bearing system.
- Thanks to its 13-amp direct drive motor, you can enjoy 4300 rpm with little wear and tear to the machine, meaning less maintenance.
- Not only is the rear handle bevel lock accessible, it is also adjustable 0-45° (left and right). There are positive stops at both 0° and 45°.
- This saw can cut 12-inch lumber at 90 degrees and 8½-inch lumber at 45 degrees.
- The miter scale range is quite extensive. You have 0-60 degrees right and 0-47 degrees left.
- It promotes productivity while rising to the challenges of different projects and tasks.
- Weighing in at a mere 43.7 pounds, this lightweight Makita marvel is indeed compact.
- It comes designed with a rubberized D-handle that is both ergonomic and crafted for comfort.
- An electric brake stops the blade’s rotation in seconds, adding to the safety and risk-reducing nature of the ls1018.
III. Makita ls1040
For something as neat and compact as the ls1040 it sure does pack a few complex features and plenty of high-end capabilities.
- Its bevel and miter scale range are ideally balanced. This saw has 45° to the left for beveling, and 0°-45° left and 0°-52° right for mitering purposes.
- Enhanced performance is possible thanks to the 15-amp motor that runs the blade at 4600 rpm.
- For highly accurate cuts, the machined aluminum base comes as welcome addition to the rest of the ls1040’s features.
- It is incredibly lightweight (27.3 pounds), making it quite portable.
- A dual post compound pivoting arm makes for swift and convenient work progress and completion.
- There are 9 miter stop settings to rely on: 15°, 22.5°, 30°, 45°, right or left and 0° (90° cuts).
- The dust bag collects a goodly amount of sawdust and small debris while the handle is comfortable and designed for prolonged use.
VI. Makita LS1221
Designed to deliver masterful engineering power tool perfection, the LS1221 lives up to its reputation.
- The D-handle is positioned horizontally and makes for some amazing long-term operation with the saw.
- Capable of delivering 4000 rpm, the 15-amp motor is a stunner.
- You can support larger material thanks to the pivoting fence design on the LS1221.
- The pivoting fence mentioned earlier is 4½” tall and can perform crown molding tasks for 5½” materials.
- The blade is carbide-tipped and comes designed for precisionl; a promise it more than delivers. It can perform super-smooth cuts.
- The miter stops come with 9 settings: 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, 45° right or left and 0° (90° cuts).
- At 90 degrees, you can cut 3 7/8”x6” materials. This is indeed flexible for a saw this compact.
- The machined aluminum base is one of the factors that contribute to the saw’s efficiency and accuracy.
- Weighing in at only 37 pounds, it is both portable and compact; needless to say average weight.
The above reviews are the reason why Makita, as a brand is held high when it comes to meter saws. Have a look at them before making a decision to buy.